Sunday, November 10, 2013

My Album

I have been watching a lot of You Tube lately while I craft and I am amazed and humbled by some of the mixed media and other art I have found.  I will post some of my favorites here, in no particular order, so that you can also become addicted to watching. ;-)
My Creative Spirit
There are more, I will list them at another time.

 I finished my album, I say finished because there are still one or two things that I will probably add as I start to put in photos.It looks very bare without and I think that I will decide on flowers or other embellishments as the photos go in.

So the pictures;
This is the cover.  The papers I used are Poetic Postage from The Paper Studio and The Timeless Type Stack from DCWV. I used chipboard from my stash and a craft card stock pad from Walmart I think. I used a Tim Holtz on the edge die, Ornate, Distress in Vintage Photo, and other things that I will list as I think of them.  The album is bound with a spiral wire using my cinch (love it!). Since I knew I would be too fat for the book to lie flat I made a band with headband trim and a large hook and eye. The soar tile is a ribbon slide from Cosmo Cricket and the pearl drops are Tim Holtz. The letters are stickers from Big Lots.

 This is the band.  I colored it with Lindy's Stamp Gang Long John Silver (I think) and added the pearl bling to the hook.  I did sew on the hook and eye and reinforced with glue.
The first inside page is a gate fold held by a paper butterfly.
Inside is room for 7 photos or journal spots.  I didn't put paper on these as they are only just a little bigger than the 4 x 6 photo size.

Opposite that is a pocket with tags I cut using the Sizzix original die, Tags, scallop Combo #2.  I still have some string to add to the larger tags I was waiting on it to dry.  I used Lindy's Stamp Gang, Steam punk Sepia for coloring the twine.

This page is a slide for an insert.

 When you pull out the insert you have room for two more pictures.

On the next page are two large tags from the Tim Holtz alterations die, Tag and Bookplates, in two pockets. These large tags can be used for smaller pictures and have journal spots on the back.
Like this.  I left the tops blank to stamp or title them as needed.

Another pocket with large and small tags. 

My favorite page.  Tags then open the magnetic pocket....

What's this?

Something pulls out!

A Mini inside a mini!  Room for 16 more photos!

More Tags.

Hmm.  This is a flap.  I used spellbinders grand labels # four to cut that. I will decorate this page more, I just wanted to keep the bike uncovered.  Stumped.

Another magnetic clasp.

Inside there is room for 8 more pictures.

More pockets and tags.

And the back cover.

Things I learned.  I should have made the album a bit taller.  I only just have room for the 4 x 6 photos on some of the pages with no frames.  That is OK as it has a lot going on already, but Next time I will make it a little bigger.
The craft card stock is fine for the pages but not really tough enough for the pockets with things moving in and out a lot.  I ended up doubling up a lot.  Also, on that note because this is so fat I probably should have bound it differently because the holes from the cinch are not going to hold up over time either.  I could have reinforced with eyelets but didn't have any at the time.
Making a mistake on a page is fixable.  And believe me I fixed...a few times. ;-).

I hope you like it.


Sunday, October 20, 2013

Lindy's Stamp Gang October Color Challenge

Sharing something I have been working on this month.  I recently acquired some new materials for art journaling and one of the things I was really interested in were sprays.  I decided to order from Lindy's stamp gang and received my order just in time to participate in the October challenge.

 Well it turned out that the colors I had ordered would fit in with this months challenge, so I went to work.


These are the colors I used.
There were other things I used too;

Carpet tape I found at walmart for the background
Cotton cord for the web
Cheese cloth
Die cut scraps
Stays on ink

Handmade lampwork beads and other beads (I wondered if I would ever use those orange beads I made).
Various ribbons
Polymer clay
Black embossing powder
Recollections Alpha Dot stamps
Tim Holtz Tattered floral Die
Tim Holtz Tattered leaves die
And sizzix jeweled tassel die

So on to the pictures.
Terrible picture of the hanging on my cabinet door.

In this picture you can see the wonderful shimmer the starburst sprays have.

So I am not a real Halloween person, but I had a blast making this project.  I made a few mistakes and learned bunches.
Now I have finished this blog post I think I might have to finish my next project to share.  Here is a preview;