Monday, July 20, 2009

The perfect bag

  I can't ever find a handbag I like, you know they are too small, too big, too soft, too hard, too....well just too wrong!  The same applies for a school bag and since I am going back to school in August I needed something to carry my laptop and any over priced books that they are going to make me buy just so I can carry them to and from class but never use.

So, I decided it would be a good idea to make one.  *sigh*  I should have a little alarm in my head that says "no..buy one, it will be cheaper in the long run.  Make do with the imperfect  (insert any item here) in the store.  Don't waste your time!"  Alas, I have no such alarm BUT; and this is a great 'but' this time,  I took a long time planning this project.  First I got out my handy dandy graph paper, a ruler and a pencil.  I measured my laptop, a file folder and estimated how thick text books would be.  I made my calculations and I drew rectangles and erased and planned and added seam allowances, then realized that I had it wrong and calculated again.

OK, so I had that part down, now I used my wonderful laptop, that I can draw straight onto the screen to plan out the construction.  As I wrote the steps it became clear I had forgotten things and I was able to go back and rearrange my steps.  Writing the directions step by step really helped me to see each piece and where it would go.  I never do this step, I just go blindly into a project and usually end up ripping out seams and cutting again.

Next I bought fabric, heavy duck.  I was excited to find a piece of patterned that kind of matched in the remnant bin. And there they sat for a week.  I was afraid to cut, I was afraid I would mess up and ruin the bag.  Now this is not something new to me, but in the last few years I have gotten over it a lot.  I figure there is no point in keeping that beautiful fabric, yarn, glass stored in neat bins never to see the light of day.  Use it!  Take a chance!  So here I was dithering about some cotton duck.

Finally I cut into it, made my pieces, pinned the lables to each so I knew what went where.  Then again I let it sit, scared to mess up sewing into it.  Finally I pressed the parts that needed it and bit the bullet.

Things are never as bad as you think they will be.  It all went together really well.  I even added an inner pocket for the power cord, since I had some left over material.

I didn't have to unpick one seam.  So, is it finished?  No.  I need to add a strap and I didn't quite have enough for that.  So I will go back to the store and get an eighth of a yard or some strapping stuff.

So here it is...







Of course there is no way to know if this is going to be the perfect bag.  Actually I already know one problem I am going to have with it.  But I hope it works for me to go bad and forth to classes.  I can always plan another one.  "NO!  Go to the store, buy one!"




No comments:

Post a Comment